The winner of IABC London’s 2018 Outstanding Communicator Award is David Billson, CEO of rTraction Canada Inc.
“David is a natural communicator who unites people and mobilizes them around a cause,” said Anthea Rowe, President of IABC London. “He demonstrates a strong commitment to principles, excellent command of the tools of communication, and proven support for the communication profession. We are fortunate to have him as a leader in the London community.”
IABC London announced Billson’s award at the professional association’s Virtuoso Awards Celebration held on May 31. More than 120 communicators and business leaders gathered at Design House London for the sold-out event to celebrate winners of IABC London project awards – called Virtuoso Awards – and to learn the winner of the 2018 Outstanding Communicator Award.
Finalists for the 2018 Outstanding Communicator Award were Kelly Ziegner, CEO of United Way Elgin Middlesex, and Jane Riddell, President and COO of GoodLife Fitness.
“This is a validation of the work we’re doing to tell the community’s brand and bring people together to help solve problems”, said Billson. “Regardless of whether you’re in the business sector or other sectors, effective communications can bring your voice forward, move your community forward or move your organization forward.”
Some of Billson’s recent communication accomplishments and initiatives include:
- Corporate Vision and Management Model: Over the last year Billson introduced a strong corporate vision and new management model that led to new clients in rTraction’s target market.
- Prom Queen Crowdfunding: Billson and the rTraction team spearheaded a campaign to raise $30,000 after the Thames Valley District School Board and London District Catholic School Board pulled funding for the Grand Theatre’s production of Prom Queen. The online campaign raised $60,000 in a few days.
- Branding #LdnOnt: Billson is leading a private initiative to build a clear and compelling brand for London. He has started recording interviews with community, political and business leaders such as provincial Liberal candidate Kate Graham, David Ciccarelli of Voices.com, Michelle Baldwin of Pillar Nonprofit Network, Stephen Bolton of Libro Credit Union, and more.
- Star Wars Day: David and rTraction engaged more than a dozen agency partners and supporters to treat hundreds of underserved kids and their families to a special screening of The Last Jedi at Landmark Cinemas.
- Ethical, Transparent Governance: rTraction is a certified B Corporation. In the Governance category of the B Impact Assessment, which includes ethics and transparency, rTraction scores 17 compared to the median score of 6.
About the IABC London Outstanding Communicator Award
The IABC London Outstanding Communicator Award recognizes an individual who exemplifies excellence in communications and demonstrates commitment to the communication profession. A panel of senior communicators assessed nominees using the following criteria:
- Use of communications that achieved business results
- Advancement of the communications profession
- Demonstrated leadership inside or outside their organization
- Commitment to ethical practices, as outlined in IABC’s Code of Ethics
IABC members and non-members are eligible to be nominated.